- Use reddit-analysis to analyze your subreddit
- Use the resulting raw data with Wordle to create the word cloud in PDF format
- Create vector and raster versions from PDF file
Here is a word cloud created from /r/videography.
Use reddit-analysis to analyze your subreddit
- Microsoft Windows (torrent/buy)
- Enthought Python Distribution (EPD) (open source)
- reddit-analysis (open source) by Randy Olson (rhiever)
I initially tried creating the word cloud in Mac, but I was running into Java problems. Then, I tried in Ubuntu Linux and ran into Java printing problems. Finally, it worked in Windows. If you don’t have windows, I suggest installing it in a virtual machine via VirtualBox (open source). Whenever I experiment with new software, I test it out in a virtual machine first with a clean installed operating system.
You can get reddit-analysis from git. I didn’t have git in my clean installed Windows 8 virtual machine, so I simply downloaded and uncompressed the zip file instead.
Once you have EDP installed and the reddit-analysis directory ready to go, do the following.
- Run this command in Command Prompt
- easy_install redditanalysis
- word_freqs phloating_man /r/videography
Use the resulting raw data with Wordle to create the word cloud in PDF format
- Oracle Java (open source)
- pdfforge PDFCreator (open source)
- Visit http://www.wordle.net/advanced
- Copy and paste all the raw data from the .csv file that reddit-analysis created into the first field and click Go
- Customize the filters, font, layout, and colors to your liking
- Click Print… and print with the PDFCreator printer to create the word cloud in PDF format
Create vector and raster versions from PDF file
- Open the PDF in your favorite vector graphics editor
- Resize and tweak to your liking
- Create PNG raster version
- Create SVG vector version
Creating the word cloud was a lot of fun. Besides sharing the word cloud with your subreddit, here are some other ideas on what you can use it for.
- Desktop Background
- Motion Graphic
Run the word_freqs –help command to change the variables. The default time period is data from the last month.
If you’d rather have someone else create your word cloud, make a request at /r/MUWs.
To the extent possible under law, Phloating Man has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to the article “Tutorial: How to Make a Word Cloud from a Subreddit“ which means you are free to share, remix, and use this work commercially without attribution or permission.
If you enjoy my work, please click here. Thanks!